Dr Paul Wilson
Exams Liaison officer for Music Technology Assistant Pathway convenor for BSc Music Technology
QUB Big Band Administrator
Dr Paul Wilson
Senior Lecturer Email:
+44 28 9097 5488 Office
: SARC Address
: School of Creative Arts, SARC, Queen's University Belfast,
BT7 1NN Personal Webpage Contemporary Music Centre, Dublin Teaching:
110MTE111 Performance Workshop
210MTE220 Performance Workshop 2
310MTE317 Work Placement
110MTE204 Electroacoustic Composition
210MTE303 Electroacoustic Composition 2
220MTE300 Portfolio Composition
Paul Wilson’s compositional interests range from fixed media to instrumental works. His most recent compositions involve both instrumnents and computers and deal exclusively with limitation and denial of the sonic material. His works have been commissioned and performed by The Ulster Orchestra, Barrie Webb, Steve Halfyard, Elizabeth McNutt, Esther Lamneck, Pedro Carneiro, Darragh Morgan, The National Symphony Orchestra of Ireland, The Smith Quartet and Psappha, amongst others, and have been performed across Europe, the USA, Central America and the Far East. Achievements and Distinctions
Highly Commended prize at the Huddersfield Young Composers Awards for Trajectories 1998.
3rd Prize at the Concorso Internazionale "Luigi Russolo" di musica elettroacustica 2002 for Spiritus - Sporano, Tape and Live Electronics.
Through the Rain selected for release on Inventionen VI: Electroacoustical music CD Current Work
Completing a new work commissioned by Elizabeth McNutt for Alto flute and Computer, and the 2nd Movement of The Tuning Machine, a new acousmatic piece.
- Trapped in Ice for Violin and Computer, December 2007
- Beneath the Surface for Flute, Clarinet and Computer, July 2007
- Four Memories for String Quartet and Live Electronics, October 2006
- Through the Rain for 8-channel playback, April 2006
- Royal Victoria Hospital Installation 2005
- Oisin's Fall for Piano and Live Electronics 2005
- The Banks of the Bann 2005
- Island in the Sky for Orchestra 2004
- Time Frames 2004
- Without Words for Marimba and Live Electronics 2003
- System Failure for Tape 2002
- As is When 2001
- Spiritus for Soprano and Live Electronics 2001
- Prometheus for Orchestra and Live Electronics 2000
- Genesis for Tape 1999
- Trajectories for Wind Band and Piano 1998
- Air for Trombone and Live Electronics 1996
ACNI grant for Two Places installation at the Ormea Baths Gallery and University of Limerick
Culture Ireland Grant for Travel to US premiers of Beneath the Surface with Dr Ricardo Climent, University of Manchester.
ACNI grant for Time Frames installation with Barbara Freeman at the Fendereski Gallery, Belfast
ACNI grant for The Banks of The Bann installation at the Millennium Gallery in Portadown
New Work for Contra-bass clarinet and computer commissioned by Gareth Davis.
New Work for Clarinet and Computer commissioned by Esther Lamneck.